Can enough really be said about local honey?
Honey has always been delicious but local honey has become increasingly popular in recent years due to its numerous health benefits. Obviously, we're a little partial to WG Bee Farm's honey bottled right here in Eden, NC.
With the increasing popularity, we thought we'd take a minute to give you the quick version of the benefits to supporting your local bee keeper.
1. Allergy Relief: Consuming local honey can help those suffering from seasonal allergies. Bees collect nectar from flowers and create honey which contains small amounts of pollen. As you consume local honey, your body can build up a resistance to the pollen, leading to a reduction in allergy symptoms. If the honey is local, it contains small amounts of pollen from flowers right in your area. These bees are in my back yard in Eden, I can't get much more local than that!
2. Immune System Support: Local honey contains antioxidants, enzymes, and minerals that can help boost your immune system. Eating local honey is especially helpful during cold and flu season. According to Harvard Health Publishing:
"Researchers reviewed 14 studies of almost 1,800 people with upper respiratory infections being treated with either honey or usual methods (antihistamines, expectorants, cough suppressants, and painkillers). Honey appeared to improve symptoms (especially cough frequency and severity), and in some cases shorten the duration of symptoms by a day or two."
While it isn't a cure all, it's definitely a sweet way to feel a little better.
3. Energy Boost: Honey is a natural source of carbohydrates, providing your body with a quick energy boost. Honey is a good alternative to sugar water or sugary sports gels but, despite being on the low end of the glycemic index, it will cause an eventual crash. It's best to eat some every 30 minutes during your longer training sessions.
4. Skin Care: Honey has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help soothe and nourish your skin. Whether you apply it topically or consume it orally, local honey can help keep your skin looking healthy and radiant. If you're near Eden, NC, check out Lavenders Blue Home and Body Boutique. They have a soap bar that allows you to create a wide range of soaps yourself and a few of those recipes include honey.
5. Local Economy Support: By purchasing local honey, you are supporting your local economy and beekeepers. Let's be honest, if you support a local beekeeper then you support their family as well. Bees are an integral part of our family life and we all participate. By buying local, you support your neighbors with your purchase.
Bees also play a crucial role in pollinating crops. A few years ago, my mother had to polinate her squash plants with a q-tip because there weren't any bees. By supporting local beekeepers, you are helping ensure the health and sustainability of your local ecosystem.
So, there you have it - the many benefits of local honey! Whether you add it to your tea, smoothie, or use it as a natural sweetener in your cooking, local honey is a versatile and delicious way to support your health and community. Make sure you to check out WG Bee Farm and keep your eyes peeled for more honey options coming soon to Give.